Monday, May 6, 2024

24.05.06 Ryal Canyon & Box T Trail

 Ryal Canyon and Box T Trail Loop






This is probably the hardest hike that I have done this year, 7 miles, 1824 feet of vertical that took me 3.5 hours of moving time and 4.25 hours total.  When I first started the hike I didn't realize the two peaks in the far background weren't even as far away as the trail split, two days later and my muscles are still achy but it was worth it!


The prickly pear cactus are starting to bloom.


Hopefully I can find another spot like this once they all are blooming, this ridge is full of prickly pears all over!









The color on the Ocotillo in the high desert is much brighter, very beautiful!


The Hedgehog Cactii are fully blooming now and the colors are spectacular!


The San Francisco peak snowcaps in the distance are about 50 miles away in Flagstaff.




Note the peak in the background, this was about half way to the trail split.



This peak is the same one from previous photos, almost to the trail split!



The red rocks in the distance are around Sedona about 25 miles away.


Another shot of the peaks.





I came across this water system presumably for a rancher's cattle and kept coming across the 2" black water line and wondered where it went.


The lines all combined and went upstream from here but I didn't follow the trail up that canyon to see where the start was.  Maybe I'll have to go back one day to satisfy my curiosity!


This was an interesting root system!


This bridge was built for ATV's but as spongy as it felt walking across I don't know if I would trust it to drive over it!


The trail had a lot of scrabble like this that made it a challenge to hike on but that's pretty common on the trails out here.








No comments: