Tuesday, May 21, 2024

24.05.17 Sunset Crater National Park

 





Notice the fine line on the photo above that shows the peak BEFORE the volcano erupted and blew the top off!










SUNSET CRATER FACTS

Erupted mid 1080s

Height 100 ft

Elevation at  Summit 8,029

Diameter at base 1 mile

Diameter at top 2250 from rim to rim

Depth 300 ft

Ash (called tephra) fall 800 sq. mi. The tephra layer is more than 60 feet deep on the slopes of Sunset Crater and gradually thins to only a few inches about 12 miles to the northeast at Wupatki National Monument.

 






The lava flows were very interesting, this area reminded me of the lava flows in Hawaii.





If you look closely in the center of this flow there's lava that squeezed up through, almost like silly putty and solidified like that.


Some of the Douglas firs were burned in wild fires.


Some survived the wild fires.




I experimented with the panorama view on my phone, it's pretty cool in my opinion!


The San Francisco Peaks are actually the rim of a volcano that blew long ago.


I did not make a video of Sunset Crater because we planned on just exploring and didn't bring the GoPro. I did include some others I found below.


More resources to explore!







Sunset Crater (US Geological Survey)







1 comment:

Vicki - SPWISC said...

Scott wanted to say that he's been looking at your blog too but "he's not much for commenting", but he does look and watch what you're posting. In that second video, the guy has almost 66K subscribers! I am a new one :)